Followers

Wednesday 24 April 2024

Lord FRANK FIELD M.P. - R.I.P.

I do not have respect for any current politician of any persuasion, either because I have not know them, or because of the simple fact that they are a (modern) politician.

There has of course been many UK politicians deserving of a virtuous eulogy, but sadly many warrant no more than a sterile resume of their life. Lord Frank Field, former M.P. and Labour Cabinet Minister was not such a person.

I first became aware of "Frank" with the introduction of televised parliament in the UK, when he was an M.P. advocating for the creation of a Pensions Reform Group, which he subsequently chaired. He came across as a plain-speaking, passionate and erudite man, for whom there seemed great respect in the chamber, such was his regard there. When Frank rose to speak there was usually very little "back-chat" and I admired his achievement of that with his calm and measured deliveries. 

Though he made it into a Labour cabinet and was later elevated to a Lordship, Frank remained steadfast in his lifelong lobbying for the betterment of the care and welfare of, dare we say it anymore, the common man. When Frank spoke I listened and was impressed, thus my personal remembrance here. Frank, R.I.P. and thank you for your service. Frank field frankfield


Lord Frank Field R.I P.


"Frank" (7th from left) amongst the 1997 Labour Cabinet

N.B. How many people can you recall from this photograph?
         I got Alistair "safe hands" Darling,
         Gordon "posturing" Brown,
         Frank,
         David Blunkett (first and only blind minister of state),
         Marjorie "Mo" Mowlem (great humility - fame for N.I. peace talks)
         Peter "Mandy" Mandelson (contentious and good TV)
         Who the rest were I haven't a clue, such was their influence!

Here follow more information about Lord Frank Field, from SKY News, from the BBC, from someone who knew him and from Frank's own constituency page.

No comments: