Followers

Sunday 22 September 2024

Meaningful songs #30 - BADFINGER

This  is the thirtieth in an occasional series of songs from my collection, with the intent of introducing music to younger readers that they may gain appreciation of music from the classic years, 1957-1990. 

I have lived long enough to hear the "popular" music industry become ever-more formulaic, lazy, uninspiring and cynical; delivering "units" and "artistes" as interesting and memorable as polished mud.

Meaningful songs that eloquently convey a story, sentiment, or social comment and make it to national consciousness are rare these days. If you agree this song is meaningful, please introduce it to someone young; they might enjoy becoming "musical archaeologists".

Todays song, titled "Baby Blue", released in 1972, is by a group called Badfinger.


Badfinger - a Welsh band literally killed by their industry


Hear the song here

Baby Blue is a sentimental and rueful reflection by a man feeling regret about a separation of his own making. It is his plea for understanding with hope of reconciliation. Separation happens, it's sometimes not nice and some chaps never get over it.


BABY BLUE
    
Guess I got
What I deserved
Kept you waiting there
Too long my love
All that time
Without a word
Didn't know you'd think
That I'd forget
Or I'd regret
The special love
I had for you
My Baby Blue

All the days
Became so long
Did you really think
I'd do you wrong
Dixie
When I let you go
Thought you'd realise
That I would know
I would show
The special love
I had for you
My Baby Blue

What can I do?
What can I say?
Accept I'd want you
By my side
How can I show you?
Show me the way
Don't you know
The time's I've tried?

Guess that's all
I have to say
Except the feeling
Just grows stronger
Every day
Just one thing
Before I go
Take good care baby
Let me know
Let it grow
The special love
You had for me
My Dixie dear


Read the next article in this series or hear the next song in the series.

For the index of all songs in this blog click here

No comments: