Followers

Saturday 30 March 2024

GRASSHOPPER


The night draws in as the air cools,
and stillness is all around.
The world waits for a new day,
for the breaking of allegiance to darkness,

and our stillness is profound.
Talking and caressing,
laughing then sleeping,
the night it makes us close,
and laying there,
cheek to cheek in the cool of the silent night,
we'll draw inwards to each other with a glow of life;
with a glow of life and love?
For laying there on the bed in the stillness of night,
beside your body fair;
no more do I want,
no more do I care;
for as long as I lay with you there.




Postscript:
For me this early relationship was intense because I was way out of my emotional depth. There was no shallow-end here, just that deep longing pushing me around like an irresistible tide. With the purity of hindsight I would now paraphrase a lyric by Joan Armatrading and say this to Julie.

Little darling, I believe you helped me a lot
You took me by the hand and lead me where you willed
No conversation, no wave goodnight
(we) Just made love with affection

When transposed into the past tense is this poem better, invoking a little melancholia?

            The night drew in as the air cooled
            and stillness was all around.
            The world waited for a new day,
            for the breaking of allegiance to darkness,

            and our stillness was profound.
            Talking and caressing,
            laughing then sleeping,
            the night it made us close,
            and laying there,
            cheek to cheek in the cool of the silent night,
            we drew inwards to each other with a glow of life;
            with a glow of life and love?
            For laying there on the bed in the stillness of night,
            beside your body fair;
            no more did I want,
            no more did I care;
            for as long as I lay with you there.

No comments: