Followers

Tuesday 5 September 2023

Words


There are few songs about words but here is one.








Words are created, they come, they go, they return (sometimes with a different meaning or intent) and they communicate, explain, entertain and perplex, sometimes all at once; but the place and context of their use can change what they actually mean or what is inferred by others.

Here's my real life experience of a word being used out of its place.

Friends and I got into a conversation with locals in a pub in Glasgow, talking about the top speed we had each achieved on motorcycles gone-by, when a fight ensued over one word out of its geographical place.

In Hull, where I was born, the contraction of "could not" is "cunt", e.g. "Ya cunt do that" (You could not do that). This is but one of a few contractions, local to Hull, that I remember.


Wunt - would not                  (I wunt do that) 
Ya      - you                              (Ya wunt want to fail) 
Sharnt - shall not                  (I sharnt tell you again)
Carnt - can not and cannot (I carnt tell you about it)
Shunt - should not.               (I shunt do that)


Back to my story....

I said to someone, in response to his preposterous claim, "ya cunt do that on a ... ", but he got, "ya cunt" and struck me in the face with, "who's you callin' a cunt yer bastard?". I was floored (literally) at the power of one word out of its place (of Hull).

There are not many songs about words but here is one.

I though this an interesting point about words.

No comments: