Followers

Sunday 8 October 2023

Meaningful songs #10 - CHARLES AZNAVOUR

This is the tenth in an occasional series of songs from my collection, with the intent of introducing music to younger readers that they may gain appreciation of music from the classic years, 1957-1990. 

I have lived long enough to hear the "popular" music industry become ever-more formulaic, lazy, uninspiring and cynical; delivering "units" and "artistes" as interesting and memorable as polished mud.

Meaningful songs that eloquently convey a story, sentiment, or social comment and make it to national consciousness are rare these days. If you agree this song is meaningful, please introduce it to someone young; they might enjoy becoming "musical archaeologists".

Todays song, titled "She", released in 1974, is by a French singer called CHARLES AZNAVOUR.


Charles Aznavour


Hear the song here

As a lament to a woman not yet met, Charles speculates about characteristics she may exhibit, but non-the-less he would accept those as "souvenirs",  should they ever meet. To read about his life start here.


SHE

She may be the face I can't forget
A trace of pleasure I regret
May be the treasure
or the price I have to pay
She may be the song that summer sings
May be the chill that autumn brings
May be a hundred different things
Within the measure of the day
She may be the beauty or the beast
May be the famine or the feast
May turn each day into a heaven
or a hell
She may be the mirror of my dream
A smile reflected in a stream
She may not be what she may seem
Inside her shell
She who always seems so happy in a crowd
Who's eyes can be so private and so proud
No one's allowed to see them when they cry
She may be the love that cannot hope to last
May come to me from shadows of the past
That I'll remember 'till the day I die
She may be the reason I survive
The why and wherefore I'm alive
The one I'll care for the rough and rainy years
I'll take her laughter and her tears
And make them all my souvenirs
For where she goes I've got to be
The meaning of my life is she
She, she
  

There is another Charles Aznavour song in this series.


Read the next article in this series or hear the next song in this series.

For the index of all songs in this blog click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment