Followers

Friday 6 October 2023

MIDNIGHT


When I was young there came to me a dream. Previously I had seen my first black woman, working at a cosmetics counter in a local department store. I was mesmerised; beauty, style and grace of movement - the lot. 

I was "moved-on" by another member of staff who uprooted me from my loitering but we met again, in a dream, after I wrote this fantasy.

    
Tiptoe to my chamber,
as the clock it strikes the hour;
the hour of day to day. 
    
Tiptoe to my chamber, 
and knock upon my door;
a knock I've often longed for. 
  
Come forth beside my bed, 
stretch out your silken hand, 
and I'll draw you down, 
down into a bliss, 
a world of white and eiderdown, 
until that time of blinding fervour 
comes and passes 
wains and dies 
and sleep encroaches upon our lives;
taking us off, 
off to bliss of dreamy sleep, 
of thoughts and actions, 
pleasures and ecstasies; 
life's loves found, 
now all surpassed.
In the hour of day to day. 


No comments: