Followers

Friday 6 October 2023

Meaningful songs #7 - ELVIS COSTELLO

This is the seventh in an occasional series of songs from my collection, with the intent of introducing music to younger readers that they may gain appreciation of music from the classic years, 1957-1990. 

I have lived long enough to hear the "popular" music industry become ever-more formulaic, lazy, uninspiring and cynical; delivering "units" and "artistes" as interesting and memorable as polished mud.

Meaningful songs that eloquently convey a story, sentiment, or social comment and make it to national consciousness are rare these days. If you agree this song is meaningful, please introduce it to someone young; they might enjoy becoming "musical archaeologists".

Todays song, titled "Alison", released in 1977, is by a singer called ELVIS COSTELLO.


Elvis Costello

Hear the song here

As a lament to a former love(r), now married, this song expresses an emotion (of regret?) very well. 

For over forty years Elvis Costello was tight-lipped about who or what inspired this song, but in his 2015 autobiography said he wrote it ,"after seeing a beautiful checkout girl looking as if all the hopes and dreams of her youth were draining away".


ALISON

Oh, it's so funny to be seeing you after so long girl
And the way you look I understand that your are not impressed
But I heard you let that little friend of mine
Took off your party dress
  
I'm not gonna get too sentimental
Like those other sticky valentines
"Cause I don't know if you are loving somebody
I only know it isn't mine
 
Alison, I know this world is killing you
Oh, Alison, my aim is true
  
Well, I see you've got a husband now
Did he leave your pretty fingers lying in the wedding cake
You used to hold him right in your hand
Bet he took all he could take
  
Sometimes I wish that I could stop you from talking
When I hear the silly things that you say
I think somebody better put out the big light
'Cause I can't stand to see you this way
 
Alison, I know this world is killing you
Oh, Alison, my aim is true

My aim is true, my aim is true
My aim is true, my aim is true
My aim is true, my aim is true
My aim is true, my aim is true

Read the next article in the series or hear the next song in the series.

For the index of all songs in this blog click here.

I have a great fondness for this song, for more information start here.

No comments:

Post a Comment