Followers

Saturday 7 October 2023

THE SAILOR'S ROMANCE


Before

This was a perfect holiday that I am thinking about, except for one night when a howling gale buried lots of things in sand. I'm talking about a beach holiday on Abersoch beach (and dunes) in Wales. Windy Wales as we nicknamed it when we got home.

This poem was inspired by the balmy, warm, whispering wind we had everyday of that holiday; to lay on that beach with the salty smell of sea being gently wafted by the warm breeze was glorious, but in just one night we were reminded of the power and majesty of a howling gale; beach huts were buried, dunes moved around and boats wrecked.

I saw two sides of wind, then imagined myself a sailor out at sea .....

   
THE SAILOR'S ROMANCE
  
Who she is I cannot say,
for she is the wind
calm or ruthless.
Where she comes from I cannot know,
for she is the wind.
  
The wrath of her I have endured
with whistling voice and icy fingers.
Tearing at sail she was uncaring,
oblivious to mortal fear.
Yes, I have feared that wrath,
her fearsome strength.
For she is the wind,
So real, yet unreal.
  
This mystic beauty has but two facets,
good or bad;
a raging, screaming, exhilarating, beauty,
a calm, serene, whispering Madonna.
An ethereal force swaying trees and grasses,
ships and minds to sleep.
May we sway my majesty?
For this is your facet of enchantment,
this is the facet of my love.
My love for the unknown.


DAUGHTER OF THE DEEP  was also inspired by the storm

Person comment - At this time, the song "Hallelujah", written by Leonard Cohen, was covered by  Alexandra Burke, though because of him being Welsh I've linked here to John Cale's version.

No comments: