Followers

Saturday 14 October 2023

ODE TO TWO PESTS (Bransholme '76)

You may recall an earlier poem, A DAY AT SCHOOL (Bransholme '76), discovered in the trunk I've been dumping stuff since finishing my state education at Bransholme High (and this) (and this) transitioned me into adulthood.

I wrote a lot of stuff then, for my own pleasure and the challenge of writing odes and poems "to order"; one of which I present now. If you happen to be the original recipient of "your order" and wish me to remove it, please drop me a line.



ODE TO TWO PESTS (Bransholme '76)

I know two girls who have a thing about odes,
they want me to write some - loads and loads.
This for them though is a time to think,
as to where I get money for all this ink.

My God you fools - you thought it came free,
wait 'till you see me by the Christmas tree.
I'll be there - so all beware,
With my begging bowl and innocent stare.

Now listen here you girls of stature,
what ya try'na be - official ode catcher?
I can't stand here ranting all day,
for one thing I'm knackered and I don't get paid.

So with this verse it's time to go.
I'm leaving you now - time to blow.
Before I go though I've to name a name,
I'm being worked to death by Carolyn Graham.

Not forgetting of course one certain sidekick,
Who contrary to belief is not at all "trick".
I'll have to end now, I'm tired and numb,
t'is all the work of Alison Lumb.

I remember these two as being musical, beyond my intellect and really good Backgammon players. Happy days!

No comments:

Post a Comment