Followers

Friday 6 October 2023

Meaningful songs #8 - DORY PREVIN

This is the eighth in an occasional series of songs from my collection, with the intent of introducing music to younger readers that they may gain appreciation of music from the classic years, 1957-1990. 

I have lived long enough to hear the "popular" music industry become ever-more formulaic, lazy, uninspiring and cynical; delivering "units" and "artistes" as interesting and memorable as polished mud.

Meaningful songs that eloquently convey a story, sentiment, or social comment and make it to national consciousness are rare these days. If you agree this song is meaningful, please introduce it to someone young; they might enjoy becoming "musical archaeologists".

Todays song, titled "LemonHaired Ladies", released in 1971, is by a singer called DORY PREVIN.


Dory Previn


On the album, Mythical Kings & Iguanas - hear the song here

As a lament to a former and younger love(r), this song expresses resignation to the fact her younger partner treats her badly; because of the age difference he knows he can?

It is not known if this song was autobiographical, but in the 1970s Dory gained a significant following for her dark and honest views on life and love, drawing heavily on a troubled childhood, her marriage (to conductor Andre Previn) and mental ill health.


LEMON HAIRED LADIES


Whatever you give me I'll take as it comes
Discarding self-pity I'll manage with crumbs
I'll settle for moments, I won't ask for life
I'll not expect labels like lover, or wife
  
If showing affection embarrasses you
I will not depend, and I will not pursue
For you are younger than I, younger than I, younger than I
And I am wiser than you

The 1 a.m. phone-calls, you're here, then you're gone
Come when you need me, I won't carry on
I'll simply accept you the way that you are
Unsure and unstructured, my door is ajar

Those lemon haired ladies of twenty or so
Of course you must see them, just don't let me know
Don't let me know, whatever you do
For you are younger than I, younger than I, younger than I
And I am weaker than you
  
I'll give you a year
Maybe two, maybe three
Then what will happen?
Where will I be?
You're still a boy
But what about me?
What about me?
What about me?

Why must you treat me with such little care?
I've so much inside me I'm aching to share
Why am I constant to someone like you?
Children don't know the meaning of "true"

Those lemon haired ladies, why must you see them?
All that I want, in your eyes is to be them
Time is on their side, that's all I lack
Oh, I wish you would just go away
No, come back
Come back. Go away
Come back. Go away
  
What in Hell can I do? I'm supposed to be wise
For I am older than you, older than you
  
You're so self-centred, the games that you play
Do as you please, well, you will anyway
Of course you will see them, no use to pretend
For you are younger than I, younger than I
Those lemon haired ladies
And they will win in the end

  

Read the next article in the series or hear the next song in the series.

For the index of all songs in this blog click here.

Read more about Dory Previn

No comments:

Post a Comment